Hamster

Friday, October 9, 2009

"It's like communism but it works." - Me, 2008

It appears once more that I have nothing to talk about. This is rather irritating unless you are some sought of demon that thrives on the boredom of humanity. Thankfully such things don't exist so we don't have to worry about their noxious influence.
What to talk about. Well my birthday was pretty fun and I thank everyone who went to it for coming. You are all heroes of our age as opposed to Solo Guy who is a hero of all ages simultaneously. So the only way to get more heroic is to drink Solo (honest to the God I don't believe in this is not an ad).
Also I would just like to thank everyone who commented on last weeks blog. It was a change form my normal non-serious work and I hope you all see how important it is that I actually look in that direction. So after a quick bit of thinking I have come up with a topic to discuss this week, the incredible over pricing of the shopping chain 'Borders'.
Now I went to Kotara with Rhiannon yesterday and it came to both our attentions the price difference between 'Borders' and everywhere else. Now I bought two things from 'Borders' a Doctor Who DVD and a book called 'Time Travel in Einstein's Universe' by J. Richard Gott (an incredibly complicated book and that I somehow managed to determine anything from it is a miracle unto itself). The Doctor Who DVD was $30 and only had 3 episodes on it. Although anywhere else it is still pretty expensive it would be $25. Even K-Mart which is ludicrously expensive no matter what it claims still only costs $25 when it comes to Doctor Who.
Another example is the 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and 'Angel' DVDs at 'Borders'. At Big W they are only $29 however at 'Borders' $33 (although Big W does always seem to have a sale on as Buffy is $29 at anytime you find it). But that isn't too bad compared to the ultimate in DVD overpricing. A NCIS season at JB-HiFi (which is normally a bit overpriced) $35. The price of the a season of NCIS at 'Borders', well I am going to have to make a who sentence in it's own paragraph for this.
$85.
Yeh. It's that bad. Ok it might have only been $80, I can remember the exact price but it's still massively overpriced. And it's not only DVDs. The book ('Time Travel in Einstein's Universe') cost $27 whilst only having 300 pages, 250 of them actually mattering. Add on to that the crease that appears down the back and the fact that it was published in 2001 and has been at the shop for that long it's really not worth it. Other books were still pretty expensive being between $30 and $60. This small book was the cheapest. Compare this to the 450 pages in a book I got from Angus and Robertson perfect condition and almost all the pages are relevant. This book was also $27. How these price differences be allowed.
Richard Dawkin's 'The Greatest Show on Earth' which I got for $22.50 at Big W (sale) and saw at Angus and Robertson for $32 was $37 at 'Borders'. Everything is so ridiculously overpriced. I wouldn't have bought any of this if I didn't already have Gift Cards for Borders that I got on Tuesday. It just goes to show you that no one gets their moneys worth these days. Come on Prices Justification Board; I know that fuel prices are ridiculous but you should realise that their are other major price problems.
So I ask you this week have you ever had major price problems with things you bought. Please comment I do like to know that their are people who read my blog and see all these problems that face us.
So here have decided to tell you something about my blog. See:
"It's like communism but it works."
So goodbye everybody.
P.S. Do you like the new font?

2 comments:

  1. I have found much the same problem, in that the Orange Box is $100 at EB, but only $40 on Steam. Well, maybe not much the same, but I get what you mean, and agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heres a little tip that I found out the hard way: If your looking for New Release books, Big W has 30% books at most times of the year. I ordered a book at A&R for $35 and it ws about $25 at Big W. It doesn't sound like much but it does make a difference. Borders is so expensive that I don't bother going there or even looking.
    I was at Kotara yesterday as well. Small world. Or crappy shopping centres.

    ReplyDelete