Hamster

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I'm not quite bored yet

Congratulations everyone. You have all done your trial school certificate and by god I am relieved. Now I could lapse into absolute pointless ramblings (which someones blog besides mine is slipping towards) but I have more important things to do. That is to talk about the highly controversial topic of teaching evolution in schools.
Now I know that many of you were quite annoyed with how they taught evolution in schools (I recall Dwyer saying that Mr Kelty absentmindedly made an offense comment towards his religion), but it really should be taught in schools the same way religion is taught in churches. Not everyone in the world has the same opinion.
Teachers in the US are suffering from a major problem. They are being blocked from teaching evolution in schools, but not by religious groups. But by the children.
In Richard Dawkin's (the author of 'The God Delusion') latest book 'The Greatest Show on Earth' he devotes a whole chapter of his book to talk about this problem. In this he recalls stories told to him by American teachers (don't laugh, most of them are quite smart) that their students would refuse to let them teach evolution. When one teacher told the students they were about to learn evolution several students burst into tears. There are even worse stories where the children's churches are telling them to ask all these questions in these classes that prevent the teachers from actually explaining something. It is impossible to teach this in many places.
I know that we are a multicultural society but I do feel sorry for what this may do to Britain. The problem now is political correctness. In Britain many Muslims are coming into the country and they have (in many cases) much deeper beliefs than the most Christians. They're Islamic students in university who go up to the biology teachers and tell them to stop teaching evolution. No joke.
And it's working because no one would ever want to be called racist. If you refuse you're a racist and therefore will get in trouble. And now this could go into British schools. Is no one seeing the problem.
Ok now look I'm not against religion. Richard Dawkins appears to be quite against creationism and even god in most cases. I really don't care. All I want is to have evolution taught in science class and to have creationism taught in churches or a different class for those students who find it offensive. Do NOT get rid of evolution from science. Do NOT teach creationism in science, it isn't science. Do NOT call someone a racist because their not politically correct, most of it is insane.
Now I have talked to much so please comment on your views and I'll see you tomorrow (hopefully).
Goodnight.

2 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly!

    Who is Richard Dawkins?

    Ciao
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap. I swear I commented on this ages ago. Oh well, I will try and remember what I wrote.

    First, I want to read his book. It sounds interesting. Dad has a copy and I shall find the time, i hope.
    I neither agree nor disagree with some people's views on evolution, but I don't think its fair that some people refuse to be taught about evolution. How would they like it if we walked out of a class if they were to start talking about religion? Ok, maybe we do that with those seminars ... but come on there is at least one of them every term or more.

    Oh I remember something else. I would ... appreciate it if you would stop insulting me and my blog. It is really starting to annoy me.

    ReplyDelete