Hamster

Thursday, January 21, 2010

I'm Like a Librarian in a Book Store

Hi guys, how is everyone? Don’t answer that in your comments unless you really want to. And I mean really want to not ‘I’m bored I might as well comment on how I am’. Only comment on this if you actually want to inform me of what is going on in your life. Neil I’m talking to you.

Ok, I would like to make a correction. For you who know me (which I hope is all of you), you must realise how hard it is for me to actually do this. Borders is not as evil as I have previously made it out to be ("It’s like communism but it works" - Me 2008). If you want to buy non-fiction books, then yes look elsewhere. They are quite expensive and have a limiting scope on natural science (zoology and botany), however if your intention is to buy some marvellous work of fiction (or crappy work of fiction) go for your life.

While it’s true it would be much cheaper to buy new release books at Big W or K-Mart, they lack the variety that book lovers would desire. At Borders there is a large selection of fictional books of all types that had me running up and down the aisles like a kid in a candy store (yes I am not always opposed to looking childish, especially when the rewards are in the form of books). I was giddy. Jumping while at the counter because I was so excited. I love books.

I bought two books. One was ‘The Dreaming Void’ by Peter F. Hamilton, I haven’t read it yet but it’s a science fiction and I have been trying to get this book for some time. The other book that I bought was Gregory Maguire’s masterpiece Wicked. Cue chorus of angels (or witches depending on your perspective) I have a new favourite book.

I haven’t read a book this interesting in a long time, and I know many people saying that they didn’t enjoy the book all that much. I personally think that’s because you saw the play first and it’s obviously better because it’s a musical. But the book is brilliant. More gripping than anything I’ve read this past year (which is quite a lot). But I do want to see the play. In fact it’s one of my life goals.

Today I went back to school shopping with my mum and two brothers. I only went so I could get a haircut and buy books. Back to school shopping is soooooo expensive these days. You need to get new shoes, bags, lunchboxes, and a whole host of utensils (paper, pens, and erasers), it’s horrifying. This will probably be explored mre at a later date by future me in about 15 years (hopefully)(actually no, hopefully 20 years) so let’s go on.

I’m now in love with large book stores. I can’t stand the small things they have in the terrace. I used to be able to spend hours walking through Big W's book section picking up books and reading the blurb. Now I run through it, find something I’m looking for and then buy it, or don’t do anything. I had the same problem at a proper book store. The fantasy and sci-fi section of Borders is two double sided rows full of books. The one at the ABC book store in Raymond terrace is about half my book shelf. I am disappointed.

Anyway I did eventually buy something but it wasn’t a book. It was and I quote ‘Wicked Great Songs from the Musical’. So it only has 10 songs on it and I don’t think any from the 2nd act, but it’s quite good to listen to. Also I agree. Defying Gravity is one of the best songs of the decade. Wouldn’t have put it in the top 5 myself but it’s definitely pretty high. I really need to see that musical. Unfortunately I’ll probably have to wait 5 years.

Ok having written about a page of blog post, I shall now retire. Hopefully this is of some interest to someone. I will go now but I’ll leave you with one thought that came to be this week:

Evil isn’t born, it’s made.

Goodbye.

6 comments:

  1. Well, ah, I can't really say much about Wicked, or the songs therein. I'm pretty okay. A little bored. Yes I did that deliberately. So yeah. Um bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one mourns the Wicked!

    Defying gravity was definitely my favourite song of the musical although For Good still makes me cry.

    You and I must go to boarders on day. I have only been to the store once and i marvelled at the many dictionaries they had. That was in Sydney. I haven't been to a decent book store and I have a limit appreciation of books. I also have never frolicked through a store like a child in a candy store, although the prospect of doing that one day is immense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! No dissing K-mart! And yeah, Wicked is the best thing like, ever.. the book was good, but the play was better, I'm going again next Sunday!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!! Oh, and I'm pretty sure it does have the second act, does it have For Good or Thank Goodness? Mine did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why does everyone keep rubbing it in!!!!
    Also it has For Good so you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Wicked = Ultra Mega Awesome. As does the songs. Cant wait till Sunday, I'm off to see it again.
    I love school shopping, I think its the whole 'getting new things'.
    Hope you had a fun first day of year 11! I know I did (sarcasm).

    ReplyDelete